If the next big Jake Randall suggests it will be a few days before restocking occurs, but realistically it could be any day now. Target restocks usually happen around 7 a.m. ET (4 a.m. PT) towards the end of the week, and since there were no PS5 restocks today, it’s unlikely we’ll see one here until Wednesday. . It’s the only major retailer that reportedly has a large cache of consoles in stock, so the only chance to score a console today will be a surprise PS5 restock this afternoon.the restocking at Target is happening this week, it’s going to happen very early in the morning. PS5 Restock Leak
If you don’t want to wait for a surprise afternoon restock, your best bet is to accept a higher price for the console through StockX or eBay. Here are some of our tips, tricks and advice to help you hook up your PS5:
- If you see someone offering to sell you a console on Twitter, it’s almost certainly a scam. Avoid these people.
- If applicable, use an app to make a purchase instead of a browser. Not only are apps often faster than mobile browsers, but it’s also easy to use an app and a browser at the same time if you’re trying to shop on multiple computers.
- PS5 restocks are much more common in the afternoon and evening than in the morning. The odds of an unscheduled restock tend to increase dramatically after 10 a.m. PT (1 p.m. ET), so if you’re wondering when to check, that’s usually the best time to start.
- PS5 restocks almost never happen on weekends.
- If a restocking starts and you immediately see “Out of stock” on the screen, do not give up. Refresh the screen several times and keep trying. Some retailers release consoles in waves to prevent bots from getting them all.
- Create an account and login for all the retailers you will be shopping at. Speaking from personal experience, it’s devastating to have a console in your cart and miss it because you had to waste precious seconds entering your payment and shipping information.
In the last period, the biggest retailers have made changes to the payment process to provide peace of mind and prevent bots from buying all the consoles and reselling them elsewhere. The most recent change to the PS5 restock game has been paid access – this means that once you’ve purchased a subscription, you’ll hear about the next PS5 restock either sooner than anyone, or exclusively for your club.
Our top tips for getting a console
With this new subscription system rolling out to GameStop, Best Buy, Walmart, and even Amazon in some cases, it’s important to point out that getting a console through these services is still not guaranteed. The queue fills up quickly and consoles only stay in stock for a few minutes in most cases. Every time a PS5 restock happens, social media fills up with people describing how they ran into problems in the process and how the consoles ended up completely gone.
It’s not reasonable to sign up and pay for every service, but that’s where we can help. We’re constantly researching the best way for you to get your hands on a PS5. And we’ll explain below what you can do to increase your chances before the buy button lights up.
Why is the PS5 so hard to find?
There are three big reasons why you’re still struggling to get a PS5. The first is the most obvious: the system is really popular. Sony claims the PS5 is its best-selling console and has already sold over 13 million units since its launch.
The second reason is the current chip shortage affecting most of the world’s electronic devices. Sony said it secured enough chips to hit its fiscal year target of 14.8 million consoles.
As for the last reason, it comes down to bots. Resellers use software to buy large numbers of PS5s at once, leaving only a few for humans to purchase. Retailers have added various protections against bots when restocking the PS5, but these restrictions only annoy resellers so much.
Where has the PS5 been available recently?
We keep track of every PS5 restock and maintain this list here of the most likely places you’ll find them, and when the PS5 was last available there.
What early access service do I have to pay for?
Many companies now limit access to a PS5 to a subscription, but each is a little different. Here’s the full breakdown of how each works.
- Amazon Prime: This one is pretty straightforward. In many cases, the only way to buy a PS5 from Amazon is to be a Prime subscriber or sign up for the Treasure Truck text service. There’s no additional cost outside of the standard Prime subscription, but you probably can’t access the PS5 restock unless you’re a subscriber.
- GameStop PowerUp Rewards Pro: Many PS5 restocks from GameStop start an hour early for you if you’ve signed up for this rewards program. It works best when GameStop announces the restock in advance or sends an email to its subscribers notifying them that a restock is coming. This subscription service costs $15 per year and comes with a ton of extra perks.
- Walmart Plus: This service was designed by Walmart solely to provide early access during sales events, and this includes a PS5 restock. The rules for this early access vary; in some cases, PS5 restocks may be entirely limited to subscribers or there may be a 1-4 hour early access window before the general population has access. Walmart charges $13 per month or $98 per year for this service. A 15-day free trial is currently available if you’re not sure if this is for you, but you only get early access if you pay for that first month.
- Best Buy Totaltech: If you want special access to Geek Squad for installations and technical support, as well as extensions on warranty purchases, this is the service for you. If you just want that for early access to a PS5 restock, Best Buy is asking you to pay $200 a year and that’s a lot. Best Buy sometimes limits access to a PS5 restock to only Totaltech subscribers, but most of the time these restocks are made available to the public later.
At the moment, the service that seems most useful to many people is Walmart Plus. There are more restocks at Walmart than most other places right now, and this subscription can dramatically increase your chances of getting a console. You’ll still have to be quick and accept that you might not get the console the first time around.
How do I increase my chances of getting a PS5?
Big retailers like Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, Target, and Best Buy don’t usually give much notice before a restock. Sometimes they will have a restock in the morning, other times in the afternoon, and in some cases even in the middle of the night. Here are some tips to help you stand out from the competition.
First tip: don’t wait to see an alert for a PS5 inventory drop. Check major retailer links for stock updates daily or even multiple times a day. (We’ve got all the links lined up below.) If you come across a PS5 availability, go for as many browsers and devices as possible. On a computer, for example, open the retailer’s page in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Then do the same on your phone and tablet. The more devices and browsers, the better. It’s like lottery tickets: the more you have, the better your chances of winning.
Second tip: create accounts with the various resellers and make sure you are already logged in if you are going to try to get a PS5. Make sure all of your shipping, billing, and payment information is up to date on any device you can shop on, whether it’s a laptop, desktop or a telephone. This makes verification much faster, which is crucial as retailer sites bog down quickly, causing people to lose their chance of getting a PS5.
Where is it safe to buy a PS5 if I’m willing to pay extra?
If you’re starting to crave and are thinking of buying a PS5 right now (and we know that with the number of big PS5 games dropping over the next few months, the pressure is on) you can, but at the price significant markup on sites like eBay or StockX. On eBay, for example, we’ve seen PS5 units cost over $1,000, though prices have slowly come down to around $700.
Where to buy a PS5
You’ll usually find the standard edition available more often than the digital edition at Target, but it’s a solid place to check stock.
Restocks happen quickly at GameStop, and if you’re a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscriber, you can occasionally get to the console an hour before everyone else.
Currently one of the best places to get a PS5, but be aware that the company frequently makes the consoles available to Walmart Plus subscribers first.
You usually need to have a Prime membership to get access to a PS5 restock from Amazon, but not always. And if you sign up for the Treasure Truck program, you’ll get a text message when a PS5 is available for delivery.
You can find a PS5 restock at Best Buy more often than most places, though it sometimes requires a Totaltech subscription if you want to get one early.
If you want to buy a console directly from Sony, click on this link and register to be put in the queue. When you get an email inviting you to purchase the console, it’s a fairly stress-free checkout followed by a one- or two-day wait for shipment.
PS5 restocks don’t happen frequently at Newegg, but they do happen and it’s a good idea to check here because a lot of other people don’t think to.
You won’t pay the standard price for your PS5 if you buy it here (meaning you’ll pay a lot more), but you’ll definitely get it without much hassle to check.
When all else fails, if you absolutely must have the console right now, whatever the price, the folks at StockX will at least protect you from being scammed by someone who never intended to give you a console.
More PlayStation 5 coverage
This story is regularly updated with the latest PS5 stock news.