USWNT vs. Uzbekistan – International Friendly Match
Date: April 12, 2022
Place: Lower.com field; Columbus, Ohio
Broadcast: ESPN2, VIX
Broadcast time: 7 p.m. ET
Official kick-off time: 7:08 p.m. ET
Starting XI against Uzbekistan: 21-Aubrey Kingsbury; 8-Sofia Huerta, 9-Mallory Pugh, 11-Sophia Smith, 12-Naomi Girma, 13-Ashley Sanchez, 15-Alana Cook, 16-Rose Lavelle (captain), 17-Andi Sullivan, 19-Emily Fox, 20-Catarina Macario
Substitutes available: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 2-Abby Dahlkemper, 5-Kelley O’Hara, 7-Ashley Hatch, 14-Trinity Rodman, 22-Kristie Mewis, 23-Margaret Purce
Undressed: Bella Bixby, Imani Dorsey, Lindsey Horan, Jaelin Howell
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW – UZBEKISTAN
- USWNT Starting XI Pick Numbers (Including This Game): Pugh (72), Lavelle (71), Sullivan (27), Macario (17), Smith (15), Fox (13), Huerta (12), Cook (9), Sanchez (7), Girma (1), Kingbury (1).
- Tuesday’s line-up at Chester includes four changes from the starting XI at Columbus: Kingsbury for Naeher in goal, Huerta and Girma in defense for Dahlkemper and O’Hara and Sanchez in midfield for Horan.
- With Kingsbury and Girma starting in their first international caps, it will be the first time two players have started in their first caps in the same match since November 10, 2019, when Alana Cook and Margaret Purce started in their first caps against. Costa Rica, which was Vlatko Andonovski’s second game in charge of the USWNT.
- The starting lineup has an average age of 24.98, making them the youngest starting XI in the USWNT since January 30, 2007, when a starting lineup with an average age of 24.6 took the pitch against China PR. Sophia Smith, the youngest player in this starting XI, was in 1st class in 2007.
- The starting roster averages 21 caps per player and this is the first time since March 2013 that a USWNT starting roster does not include at least one player with more than 100 caps.
- Midfielder Rose Lavelle will captain the team for the first time in her USWNT career as she earns her 71st ceiling for the USWNT. Lavelle, which became Saturday the 52n/a The USWNT player who reached 70 caps and two assists in the opener against Uzbekistan, will now have made 35 appearances under head coach Vlatko Andonovski, the biggest player in his tenure with the United States.
- Goalie Aubrey Kingsbury will make her international debut by becoming the 26and all-time goaltender to represent the USWNT. At 30, Kingsbury – two-time NWSL Goalkeeper of the Year – becomes the oldest goaltender to earn a first cap for the USWNT and the third-oldest player overall to earn a first cap for the USWNT. She becomes only the fifth player to debut for the USWNT at age 30 or older and only the second goaltender to do so.
- Sophie Huerta will make her second start of 2022 and the fifth of her USWNT career as she is expected to make her 12and international appearance for the United States. Huerta started and played the full 90 minutes in USA’s 5-0 win over New Zealand in the 2022 SheBelieves Cup, assisting Ashley Hatch’s goal to open the scoring in the second half.
- Mallory Pughwho leads the United States in goals (4) and assists (4) in 2022, will make his third consecutive start by winning his 72n/a career cap. Pugh has scored in each of his last three appearances for the United States – the longest scoring streak of his international career – and equaled his career high with three assists on Saturday against Uzbekistan. She now has 24 career assists, tied with Shannon Boxx for 20th all-time in USWNT history.
- After scoring his first career hat trick in the 9-1 win over Uzbekistan, Sophie Smith is ready to do fifth consecutive start as she wins her 15and global cap for the USWNT. Smith tripled her career goals in one game with her hat-trick against Uzbekistan on April 9 and at 21 years and 242 days, became the fifth-youngest player to score a hat-trick for the USWNT.
- Smith became the 25th player in USWNT history to record a hat trick. Smith’s hat trick is the 63rd all-time in program history and the first since Alex Morgan scored three goals on Sept. 21, 2021 against Paraguay in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Naomi Girma will debut for the USWNT, becoming with Kingsbury the 246and and 247and all-time players to represent the USWNT. At 21 years and 302 days old, Girma becomes the fifth player born after the historic 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup to represent the United States Senior Women’s National Team, joining Sophia Smith, Jaelin Howell, Catarina Macario and Trinity Rodman. .
- Girma, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 NWSL Draft, will start in central defense alongside her former Stanford University teammate Alana Cook. They played one season together when Girma was a freshman and Cook was a senior.
- After coming off the bench in Columbus to score her first international goal, Ashley Sanchez will make her third career start as she makes her seventh all-time appearance for the USWNT. Sanchez, who started against New Zealand and Iceland at the SheBelieves Cup, had two assists in the USA’s 5-0 win over Iceland and on April 9 against Uzbekistan, became the 112and all-time player to score for the USWNT with her goal in the 90sand minute.
- Alana Cook will enter her seventh straight game for the USWNT as she earns her ninth overall cap. Cook leads USWNT in total minutes played in 2022 with 356 minutes and registered the first two assists of his international career in the United States’ April 9 victory over Uzbekistan. Cook is the first USWNT defender to record multiple assists in a game since Tierna Davidson netted two assists against Chile in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup group stage.
- One of five players to start every game for USA in 2022, Andi Sullivan going to make him 27and international appearance for the USWNT. Sullivan scored the first goal in the United States victory over Uzbekistan in Columbus, the third of his international career and also had an assist that day. The other players to start every game this year are Smith, Cook, Macario and Fox.
- Emilie Renard will make his eighth consecutive start and earn him 13and global cap for the USWNT. Fox will now have appeared in every match USA has played since the October 2021 FIFA window, the only USWNT player to appear in all nine matches in that span.
- Having scored in consecutive games for the first time in his USWNT career, Catarina Macarius will make her fifth start of the year as she turns 17and global cap for the USWNT. Macario, 22, scored twice and had an assist in the SheBelieves Cup final against Iceland on February 23 and added a goal for 46and minute on Saturday against Uzbekistan. Macarius now has eight goals in his last seven games combined on aggregate for club and country.