If you thought this mysterious horror and survival game Abandoned by Blue Box Game Studios couldn’t be more enigmatic, wait until you hear it. The game was pushed back into the public consciousness this week, but not because the developer had something to show for it. No, instead, information was quietly deleted from the studio’s Twitter account, leading to rumors that the as-yet-unseen project has been cancelled. Apparently that’s not true. Abandoned isn’t cancelled, just “changing,” according to studio founder Hasan Kahraman. The saga of this game gives me a horrible boost.
We have to back off first. In case you forgot, Abandoned is supposed to be Blue Box Game Studios’ first game for PS5. A first-person survival horror shooter announced last April, people thought the project was somehow connected to Hideo Kojima and silent Hill because of the game’s marketing. This obviously turned out to be wrong, as Kahraman came out to reveal that Abandoned had nothing to do with Silent Hill and he was not Kojima in disguise. Since this initial confusion and revealed a year ago to the day nowInformations about Abandonedincluding sterile PS5 app, has been rare
Now on the present. Twitter user and rated souls YouTuber Lance McDonald tweeted on March 31 that Blue Box “deleted most tweets” outlining specific future plans for Abandoned. This apparently included an explanation of why the PlayStation 5 app, which still contains only a brief teaser, weighed in at around 5 GB and announced that a demo would be playable “soon”. This erasing has led the industry to speculate on Abandoned since Blue Box hadn’t tweeted about the game since last December.
Well, that all changed after the McDonald’s tweet exploded and several reports from outlets like Eurogamer and game informant started hitting the internet.
On March 31, the same day McDonald’s tweet caught people’s attention, Blue Box released a statement on Twitter clarify Abandonedthe status of. The studio said the game’s cancellation rumors were “false” and claimed it was working on a reveal and prologue, which would be a “standalone game” with a low price that should last an hour or two for the game. PS5 app. Both were delayed because the team “underestimated” their development roadmap.
“We are aware of your frustration and deeply and sincerely apologize for it,” Blue Box told The World’s Smallest Fiddler. “We will continue to work on the game and let you know when we are ready. Our sincere apologies.
Since then, Blue Box has been playing defense for Abandoned. Both IGN and Colin Moriarty of sacred symbols interviewed Kahraman about the game, its development, and the recent Twitter takedown stream. When we talk to IGN, Kahraman said that old content was removed because “part of the concept has changed” and he thought it would be best to remove what is no longer relevant. Kahraman later said sacred symbols that it has become a “serious project”.
Kotaku has contacted Blue Box Game Studios and Sony for comment.
What all this means, who knows. Blue Box Game Studios admitted that Abandoned was announced too early and that it is an ambitious personal project for Kahraman and the Dutch-based developer. Maybe we’ll see gameplay, a CG trailer, or something more substantial than the PS5 app teaser. The blue box has begun asking fans if he should show any development footage from the prologueso hopefully something will be revealed soon. Waiting for, do not send death threats.