FromSoftware has just released a title update for Elden Ring, and if you’ve played the game or even just watched the speedruns, the patch notes will likely get your heart pumping. Elden Ring patch 1.03 is massive, with nerfs, buffs, quest fixes, new NPC summons, and more.
It’s hard to know where to start as there are so many changes, but it looks like some quests widely seen as broken may have been fixed. New “quest phases” have been added for NPCs Diallos, Nepheli Loux, Kenneth Haight and Gatekeeper Gostoc. The quest for Nepheli in particular has confused many players.
There is a new NPC in the form of Jar-Bairn,
although it is not indicated where you will find them (I just looked, and they’re in Jarsburg, as you’d expect). The map now has a new type of icon that can display the names of NPCs, to better mark their locations. There are also more summonable NPCs in “multiple situations”, while the Mimic’s Veil can now mimic a bunch of new items.
There are alarming changes. The Mimic Tear Ash, which is a must-have ash summon for people who don’t want to play fair with bosses, has had its damage decreased and its behavior changed. Similarly, the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War, notably used in Distortion2’s Elden Ring speedruns, has had its damage reduced and cast time increased.
Still, buffs dominate the list of mods. Wizards will be pleased with the decreased FP consumption across a range of spells, including Loretta’s Greatbow and Carian Greatsword, and the trusty Large Glitterstone Shard now has higher range and is faster.
Anyway, here are the full patch notes:
Elden Ring v1.03 Patch Notes
Additional items added
- Added a function to save an icon and name of an NPC to the map when you encounter that NPC.
- Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
- Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
- Added some summonable NPCs in several situations.
- Increased the number of item models the player can mimic when using Mimic’s Veil.
- Added nighttime background music for certain open field areas.
- Fixed a bug that prevented summoned NPCs from taking damage in some boss fights.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the player from getting an item after a boss fight.
- Fixed a bug that prevented dialogue from talking to NPCs and using custom key configurations.
- Fixed a bug that caused the player to freeze while rolling.
- Fixed a bug that caused incorrect arcane scaling for some weapons.
- In a situation where the player cannot obtain more than 2 Talisman Pouches, a Talisman Pouch has been added to the Twin Maiden Husks shop line.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the user from warping to grace sites from the map when ending the game.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the player from moving to the next area after the battle with the Fire Giant.
- Fixed a bug that caused some weapons to have incorrect scaling after boosting.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some weapons from using stat scaling.
- Fixed hangups on some occasions.
- Fixed a bug that incorrectly displayed multiplayer area boundaries when playing online.
- Fixed a bug that allowed the player to activate Erdtree Greatshield’s weapon skill without absorbing an attack by using a special combination of item and incantation.
- Fixed a bug that caused Fire’s Deadly Sin cast to have a different effect.
- Fixed a bug with Ash of War, Determination, and Royal Knight’s Resolve where the damage buff will also apply to other weapons without this skill.
- Adjusted the visual effect of the Invisible Form spell.
- Removed the Ragged armor set from the game that could be erroneously obtained in the previous patch.
- Fixed a bug that caused some hostile NPCs to drop Furlcalling Finger Remedy.
- Fixed a bug that caused the incorrect sound effect to play in certain situations.
- Fixed a bug that prevented visual animation and hitboxes from displaying correctly on some maps.
- Fixed bugs that caused incorrect visuals and behavior for some enemies.
- Fixed a bug that caused incorrect stats setting for some armors.
- Text fixes.
- Other performance improvements and bug fixes.
- Increased Smithing Stone drop rate for some enemies.
- Added Smithing Stone to some early game stores.
- Increased shield effectiveness.
- Increased the damage of all offensive items in the Cracked Pot.
- Increased the damage of the following items: Spark Aromatic/Poison Spraymist.
- Increased the duration of the effect of the following items: Uplifting Aromatic / Iron Aromatic.
- Increased healing HP for Torrent when using the following items: Rowa Raisin/ Sweet Raisin/ Frozen Raisin
- Reduced FP consumption and increased damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
- Increased damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well / Collapsing Stars / Crystal Barrage
- Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Rain/Rock Blaster/Gavel of Haima/Founding Rain of Stars/Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/Loretta’s Greatbow/Loretta’s Mastery/Carian Greatsword/Carian Piercer/Shard Spiral
- Increased Great Glintstone Shard projectile speed and range
- Decreased Ash of War and Hoarfrost Stomp damage and increased cast time.
- Increased self-inflicted damage of Ash of War, Bloody Slash while slightly reducing damage and increasing cast time.
- Decreased weapon proficiency, Nightsword and Flame damage.
- Increased FP consumption and reduced duration of Ash of War, Barricade Shield.
- Changed the FP consumption schedule of Ash of War, Prelate’s Charge.
- Decreased the damage of the summoned spirit when using the Mimic Tear Ash item and changed the behavior of the spirit.
- Other Enemy and Weapon Balance Changes