Google Stadia never quite ignited the gaming world with a paradigm shift to cloud game streaming, but it has quietly established itself as a convenient service for those who enjoy playing the latest games on less efficient equipment. Its future remains a bit uncertain, with Google apparently giving it less priority internally. While the future of the service may still carve out a niche for gamers looking for easy-to-test demos and free trials, what if you’re already a subscriber but think it’s time to leave this beta version?
The good news is that canceling a $9.99 per month Google Stadia Pro subscription is pretty easy.
However, you may already be thinking, “What will happen to my games? Here are the basics of what happens when you cancel Stadia Pro and revert to a free account:
- You will lose access to any games you claimed for free as a Stadia Pro member
- You may retain and continue to play any games you have purchased through the Service
- You’ll be limited to a 1080p stream with stereo sound instead of 4K and 5.1 surround
Makes sense – games you bought with real money won’t be trapped behind the paywall, and ‘free’ games work the same way PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Games with Gold do today. .
Inactive Stadia Pro subscribers can still purchase and play additional games, even on a free account. After all, Google wants you to continue using and paying for Stadia, one way or another, although discounts on new games are an exclusive perk for paying Stadia Pro members. Additionally, if you later decide to re-subscribe to Stadia Pro, the free games you originally claimed will be restored to your account library.
So if you decide to cancel, you can still continue to use Google Stadia as a free service – playing the paid games you already own at a lower resolution and with the ability to re-subscribe at any time to get back to your favorites. free titles claimed. And there’s not too much risk in canceling your Pro account because you can always change your mind later if you miss it.
This article will walk you through the cancellation process on your Chrome browser or through the Stadia mobile app.
How to cancel from Chrome
- Go to stadia.google.com and click on your avatar in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser screen.
- In the drop-down menu, click Stadia Settings.
- Then press Purchases & subscriptions.
- On the next screen, you will see your purchases and subscriptions. If you want to unsubscribe from Stadia Pro, tap unsubscribe.
How to cancel from the Stadia app
- Once you’ve opened the Stadia app, tap the avatar near the top right corner of your phone screen.
- Click on Purchases on the settings screen that appears.
- Then press unsubscribe under the Stadia Pro case.
It’s so simple. You can continue to use Stadia Pro services until the end of your current billing cycle. After that, your account is upgraded to a free version.
Update March 21st, 2022, 3:58PM ET: This article was originally published on February 14, 2020 and has been updated to reflect changes to Stadia.