The Elden Ring Ranni questline is nearly impossible to complete without a full walkthrough, but it’s worth unlocking the secret ending, also known as the Age of Stars ending. Ranni the Witch is one of the biggest and most mysterious characters in the game, and her questline will take you to strange places all over Elden Ring before coming back to a final resolution in the game’s final moments. is pretty obscure at times, but don’t worry – we’ve put together a complete walkthrough for the Elden Ring Ranni questline below, so you can find out which witch is which and earn the secret, best ending for yourself.
Ranni the Witch’s Questline Walkthrough for Elden Ring
Ranni the Witch is a potentially pivotal character you’ll likely encounter early in Elden Ring, particularly in Limgrave if you head to Elleh’s Church after obtaining Torrent, an enigmatic four-armed figure in white garments and a wide witch hat. At first, she goes by the not-so-creative alias Renna, but it isn’t long before she drops that name and reverts to Ranni. However, you don’t have to worry about meeting her in Limgrave – it’s an optional encounter and if you miss the chance, you can meet her later to start the quest properly.
Key Ranni Locations and Quest Objectives
Below, we’ve listed the full order of events in Ranni’s questline, where you’ll need to go and what you’ll do when you get there. Check the maps for specific locations and keep in mind that you won’t be able to do this at the start of the game – you’ll have to open up a lot of the map and beat a lot of bosses before you can help Ranni achieve his goals. We’ve also split the maps into two relevant halves – above ground and below ground (mainly the Nokstella and Rot Lake area) – so be sure to check the correct ones each time. Just below the map below, you’ll find the full list of objectives – go get them, champ!
- The first thing you need to do is head to the Three Sisters towers west of Caria Manor. You’ll need to go through Caria and beat the boss against Royal Knight Loretta to get there first. Once you’re there, head to the middle tower of the three, Ranni’s Rise, and ride the elevator to personally meet her at the very top. Exhaust her dialogue until she disappears, introducing you to her generals along the way.
- Find Blaidd on the Siofra River, where he will be waiting to speak to you. This quest is actually intertwined with the Elden Ring Blaidd the Half-Wolf locations and questline, and we have his Siofra-specific location there. Then you have to follow Blaidd’s questline to the point where the star falls – after that things turn around again.
- Head to the new crater south of Mistwood to Nokron, the Eternal City. Follow the path to the boss fight with the Mimic Tear, kill it, then take the bridge until it goes left into the grassy area. Hug the leftmost cliff until you find a grace site called Night’s Sacred Ground, then jump across the rooftops and follow them to the church at ground level until you find a treasure called Fingerslayer Blade.
- Bring it back to Ranni at Ranni’s Rise. She’ll give you the Inverted Statue of Carian, a key item that acts as a key to a very specific lock.
- Head to the Carian Study Hall in West Liurnia and use the statue on the altar outside the entrance to flip the whole tower. Then head down the tower (we’re so sorry about that) and use the bridge to reach the Divine Tower to the east. At the top of the Divine Tower is an item called the Death Curse. Take it from the corpse it is sitting on.
- Now head back to the Three Sisters, this time towards the northernmost tower, Renni’s Rise. Trigger the teleport door at the top to be sent to Ainsel River Main and pack up the Miniature Ranni. Then try talking to him several times at the nearest grace site – eventually he will respond. Sinister!
- Follow the river to Nokstella, the Eternal City, and head to the site of the Nokstella Waterfall Basin of Grace (you’ll need to take an elevator down from the water). Just through the tunnel next to it there will be an invading NPC called Baleful Shadow – kill it. After that, the Miniature Ranni will give you the Rejected Palace Key.
- Head to the large library in Raya Lucaria, where you fought Renalla, and use the key to open the locked chest right next to her. You will get the Black Moon Ring.
- Go back to where you killed Baleful Shadow and keep heading southwest to reach the lake of rot. Use the stepping stones to cross the lake to the southwest corner and the Grand Cloister building. There you will find a coffin at the edge of a waterfall. Enter when prompted – this will take you to the next location.
- This will take you to a new boss fight called Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. Astel is a tough opponent who uses gravity attacks to enhance his natural sweeps and strikes, adding delayed explosions that often trigger an instant after the initial hit. Try to stay behind or under him when possible, using a summon to hold his attention, and dodge much more than your shield – most of his attacks will pierce your defenses.
- Once Astel is dead, head through the arena to the elevator, which will transport you to surface level on the elevated plateau of Liurnia. You’ll be attacked by a dragon here, but you don’t have to fight it – just head to Manus Celes Cathedral in the northeast corner and descend the ravine below to find Ranni’s body. Interact with him to put the ring on his hand and complete his quest.
After Ranni’s questline is complete, you can complete the final parts of Blaidd’s questline if you continue this story as well.
How to Get the Secret Ending, Star Ages
Once you complete Ranni’s questline, it gives you the choice to trigger the secret ending, but won’t trigger it automatically. After defeating the Elden Ring final boss described in our Elden Ring main bosses guide, you will see a summon panel on the ground that will allow you to summon Ranni. Trigger it to begin the end of the Star Age, a permanent game-ending decision.
Ranni Questline Rewards
There are many rewards in Ranni’s questline, some a direct prize for completing his quest, others given by obligatory enemies that you must defeat throughout. Here is the full list:
- Black Moon Greatsword: A unique sword with good Int scaling, freeze damage, and the ability to temporarily buff with the Moonlight Ash of War sword. It also requires Int 38 to use and is received at the very end of the quest, after finding Ranni’s body at Manus Celes Cathedral. It’s also a recurring element in the Soulsborne series – so it’s also an easter egg!
- Remembrance of the Naturalborn: A keepsake dropped by Astel after killing him, which can be used with Finger Reader Enia at Roundtable Hold to exchange for a unique Ash of War, Waves of Darkness, which adds magic affinity to larger melee weapons and grants strike Special AOE. You can also turn him into a flail with an intelligence scale called Bastard’s Stars.
- Silver Tear Mask and two Larva Tears: Killing the Mimic Tear at the entrance to Nokron gets you a unique (so ugly) helmet that increases your Arcane stat and two Larval Tears. If you don’t know how these are used, check out our Elden Ring respec and Larval Tears page on how you can use them to literally redefine yourself.
- Loretta’s Greatbow and Ashes of War: Loretta’s Edge: You need to go through Royal Knight Loretta to reach Ranni’s Rise, and she’ll drop the Greatbow (actually a sorcery that shoots a special arrow, rather than equipment), and Loretta’s Slash Ash of War, which is used on spears and polearms to give them magic affinity and a strong upward attack.
Elden Ring Tree Sentinel Boss Guide | Elden Ring hug debuff | How to Beat Margit in Elden Ring | How to Beat Godrick in Elden Ring | What to do with Melina’s chord in Elden Ring | Elden Ring Stormveil Gate Choice | How to find Limgrave’s Divine Tower in Elden Ring | How to Get Elden Ring Raya Lucaria Academy Glittering Stone Key | How to Use Dectus’ Great Elevator in Elden Ring | Can you beat the grafted scion early? | Elden Ring Bosses | Location of Brother Corhyn of the Elden Ring