Fernando Tatis Jr. out for three months with broken wrist

2:16 p.m.: It’s unclear exactly when Tatis suffered his injury, but he admitted today when speaking with reporters (including ESPN’s Jesse Rogers) that he had fallen off his motorcycle several times during the winter. An accident qualified as minor had been reported at the beginning of December; Tatis called the resulting injuries “minor scrapes,” but MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweet that some people “close to the situation” are speculating that he suffered a wrist fracture at that time. As USA Today’s Bob Nightengale pointed outteam officials were banned from speaking with or interviewing Tatis until last Thursday due to the lockdown.

11:29 a.m.: Tatis has a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist, tweet Cassavell. It’s possible the injury was sustained earlier in the winter (although that remains uncertain), but it erupted decisively while swinging a bat recently.

11:05 a.m.: superstar parents Fernando Tatis Jr. suffered a broken wrist that may require surgery, President of Baseball Operations AJ Preller told reporters this morning (Twitter link via AJ Cassavell of MLB.com). Surgery is a possibility for Tatis, who is expected to miss up to three months to recover from her injury.

It’s a brutal blow for the Padres, who will now go halfway through the season without one of the game’s brightest young stars. Tatis missed time last season with a recurring subluxation of his shoulder, but still hit .282/.364/.611 with 42 homers in just 130 games. Tatis avoided surgery for this particular disease, but will now miss a lot of time with a new disease.

San Diego has plenty of depth on the court, although there’s no replacing a player of Tatis’ caliber. His injury could create a more stable opportunity for the former KBO star Ha Seong Kim, who struggled in a part-time role with the Brotherhood last year after signing a four-year, $28 million deal. Alternate options on the roster include third baseman Manny Machadosecond baseman Jake Cronenworth and utility Jurickson Profar — all of whom have big-league shortstop experience. Twenty one years JC Abrams is among the top prospects in all of baseball, but he’s not yet made the 40-man roster and has yet to play above Double-A. He’s at camp as an unregistered guest, so he’ll have the opportunity to force the team’s hand.

Of course, it’s worth mentioning at least that there are a few top notch shortstops still unsigned on the market. Both Carlos Correa and Trevor’s Story have been looking for new homes this winter and were either in favor of a one-year deal that would allow them to re-enter the market next winter, the brothers could make a previously unexpected adjustment. There would be a possible blockage, but Tatis spent time in the outfield last year.

That said, a Story or Correa match is an extremely long shot for several reasons. Both are looking for long-term deals, and the Padres are looking to cut their payroll as they explore trade scenarios involving Eric Hosmer and Wil Myers. Signing either free agent would require not only giving up a draft pick, but also shelling out a hefty salary. Preller has taught us time and time again never to expressly rule out the Padres on virtually any pie-in-the-sky scenario, but it’s pretty hard to imagine Story or Correa popping into the Padres’ camp to replace Tatis.

Tatis is entering the second season of a 14-year, $340 million contract extension. He is expected to earn $5 million this season and will see his salaries rise to $7 million in 2023, $11 million in 2024, $20 million in 2025-26, $25 million in 2027-28 and $36 million. dollars per year from 2029-36.

amoloans